Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What a Jerk!

So this past Sunday was great and not great all at the same time. Church was great and I had a great meeting with my committee after church, however that meant that I was in a rush (as always) to take Sawyer on a long enough walk that we could catch a train and he would be tired enough to sit still for the whole hour. Well, we make our way down West End and I can't find a cab to save my life, which should have been tip #1. Then we get in a cab and we are flying until we hit major traffic and sit still. Finally, there is 15 minutes before the train takes off and I finally jump out of the cab and run to the subway. The next 1 train is 8 minutes away...This should have been tip #2. In fact, I almost just called my parents and say sorry I missed the train and it was such a pain that I'm just going back to my apt for the night. But Mitch is home and he's been dying to meet Sawyer so I felt bad and sucked it up.

Finally the train comes and we hit Penn Station with literally 3 minutes til the train leaves. Somehow I manage to buy a ticket and get on the train and find a seat right as we pull out. Sigh of relief. So Sawyer takes his first five minutes or so to orient himself and is settling in, when the conductor comes by. Apparently this conductor was having a horrible day and wanted to pass it on. Here was our conversation:

C: Do you have a dog bag?
H: No.
C: You have to get off at the next stop. You have to have a dog carrier.
H: Are you serious? I have been taking the train for over a month and he just sits on my lap and is fine. No one has ever told me I need a carrier before.
C: Well it says it on the schedule (pulls schedule out of pocket and reads me the sentence)
H: Ok, well can I just finish out my ride and then next time I'll know?
C: No. You have to get off at the next stop.

So - I got kicked off the train at the very first stop outside the city! Can you believe it?? The woman across from me was flabbergasted. I was as well. So I got off at the next stop and since there was an hour wait for the next train out to Chatham I called home and said either I'm getting on the next train into the city or you can come pick me up at Secaucus. So my dad picked me up and the rest of the night was fine. But seriously conductor? I mean, did he not even look at how cute Sawyer is? How could you kick him off the train? Craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment