I am an avid follower of the arts - I have season tickets to both the American Ballet Theater and also the Metropolitan Opera, which means that I am at the Met quite a bit and have picked up quite a few pet peeves about people who show up there. (Let this be a lesson for any of you who come and visit...)
1. Dress code - although there is no dress code for Broadway theaters, there most certainly is a dress code for both the opera and the ballet! You should never show up in the following...
jeans, weather boots, sweatshirts, tee-shirts, hats, sneakers, or pretty much anything else that you can see in the above photo. This is an opportunity to dress in more than your Sunday best - to pretend like you're hitting a red carpet. Think fancy and elegant. Tourists are bad enough showing up in their jeans and flip flops, but if you live in the vicinity there is no reason why as a girl you can't be in a skirt/dress and as a guy wearing a tie! Hopefully dressing fancy will influence your conduct as well...
2. Snacks - this is not a movie theater! This is not a chance to gorge yourself on snacks and candy with really obnoxiously loud wrappers. Although that behavior is annoying in a movie theater it is downright rude at the Met.
3. Behavior - this is not a place where whispering is appreciated or condoned. Also - during every intermission I don't want to hear your teenagers arguing with each other or one of them complaining over and over that she wants to go home, and "you know that I need to get a 95 in this class so I don't take it over and I have to do my homework and I don't want to be here!" Literally. This went on the entire first intermission, until finally the old woman sitting next to me turned around and said, "We really don't want to hear any more about it." Classic.
Ok everyone, got that? Dress up, don't bring snacks, and be quiet. It isn't rocket science, it is the proper theater etiquette! Now sit back, relax and enjoy some of the best entertainment that New York City has to offer! (also, speaking of which - I am so excited to see Julie Kent next month! It is her 25th season with ABT which is crazy tremendous!)
1. Dress code - although there is no dress code for Broadway theaters, there most certainly is a dress code for both the opera and the ballet! You should never show up in the following...
jeans, weather boots, sweatshirts, tee-shirts, hats, sneakers, or pretty much anything else that you can see in the above photo. This is an opportunity to dress in more than your Sunday best - to pretend like you're hitting a red carpet. Think fancy and elegant. Tourists are bad enough showing up in their jeans and flip flops, but if you live in the vicinity there is no reason why as a girl you can't be in a skirt/dress and as a guy wearing a tie! Hopefully dressing fancy will influence your conduct as well...
2. Snacks - this is not a movie theater! This is not a chance to gorge yourself on snacks and candy with really obnoxiously loud wrappers. Although that behavior is annoying in a movie theater it is downright rude at the Met.
3. Behavior - this is not a place where whispering is appreciated or condoned. Also - during every intermission I don't want to hear your teenagers arguing with each other or one of them complaining over and over that she wants to go home, and "you know that I need to get a 95 in this class so I don't take it over and I have to do my homework and I don't want to be here!" Literally. This went on the entire first intermission, until finally the old woman sitting next to me turned around and said, "We really don't want to hear any more about it." Classic.
Ok everyone, got that? Dress up, don't bring snacks, and be quiet. It isn't rocket science, it is the proper theater etiquette! Now sit back, relax and enjoy some of the best entertainment that New York City has to offer! (also, speaking of which - I am so excited to see Julie Kent next month! It is her 25th season with ABT which is crazy tremendous!)


No comments:
Post a Comment