Monday, August 1, 2011

Musical Review: Catch Me if You Can

So, to be honest, I have been putting seeing this musical off because I wasn't really sure how I felt about it. I got 5 songs sent to me on a CD from ticketmaster or somebody like that as a promo back before the show opened and although I love me some Aaron Tveit (see here) I wasn't too impressed...

And then, the co-star won a Tony and then randomly different people I knew all went to go see it. So I decided it was my turn.
So here's my review. The main 2 characaters of Abagnale and Hanratty are fantastic. Everyone else is...meh. Tveit stole my heart with his voice. It really is quite amazing! Norbort Leo Butz as Hanratty was phenomenal. I can see why he won a Tony. The music however was nothing memorable. The songs weren't bad, but just nothing to rush out and buy. Except for this particular number that is right at the end of the show. The background is that Abagnale was just caught in the airport and he's giving up on his life of crime because he wants to stop running and settle down. Of course I went out and found a video for you of Tveit singing this (not on stage but in Macy's as a promo). You can tell he is holding back a little bit because of the venue, but let's just say that he blows it out of the park on the broadway stage. So enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment