So if you recall I was reading the first book in the John Carter of Mars series. First of all, I did not realize that the author was the sam guy who wrote Tarzan. Color me surprised. So here is my review - it was better than I thought it would be. Burroughs is definitely adept at creating a believable world that takes you in. I can also see the draw of making this a movie. It has lots of fighting/action and of course a love story built in. A Romeo and Juliet from different worlds type. It is a series and the way the first book ended definitely leaves room for sequels. Not sure if I will go for the sequels or not, but the book was good and very short. It is only 140 pages-ish. Very doable.
The writing was beautiful and eloquent and it was enjoyable to read and root for John Carter as he encounters all the different troubles on Mars. If you are interested in trying it out for yourself, you can buy it here.

No comments:
Post a Comment