Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake hits....Manhattan??

Ok, well not technically. It hit in VA, but it was a little crazy to be on the 18th floor of a 50 story building and feel it moving. And it's not like it moved a little bit, but if felt like walking on a boat deck where it moves the inside of your stomach and makes you feel slightly nauseous. My coworkers and I were all asking if other people felt it when the announcement came over the loudspeaker to evacuate the building, there is an unofficial rumor of an earthquake....um excuse me, but when did I move to California?

So everyone evacuated by walking down the emergency stairwells. Totally packed. We went across the street to Central Park. Now, we were not in any danger and it wasn't like it hit NYC very bad, but I still was a little shaky afterwards. I think just the mental stress of thinking I was just in my very first earthquake! Literally my legs were shaking for like 15-20 minutes after we left the building. So were my one coworker's as well, so don't think I'm the only strange one. We were hoping for a "get out of jail work free" card, but even though my dad left his work early (lucky duck) the rest of us headed back upstairs. But I will be leaving at 5:30 on the dot. It was an emotionally draining day. I think I have PTSD...just kidding.

Needless to say, it was a much more eventful day than anticipated! Now I can't wait to get home and check on the puppy and make sure nothing fell in my room!

1 comment:

  1. SO crazy there was an earthquake there! earthquakes dont really scare me (now tornadoes, don't get me started) probably because i've been doing earthquake drills (and real earthquakes) since I can remember, but still so weird to see everyone's facebook statuses about it.. all from the east coast. hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete