So I thought I would give a rundown of how the night went. So we met up at the original Nathans and got our hotdogs and fries for the boardwalk. Now there are a couple landmark things to do at Coney Island - The Wonder Wheel, which was built in 1920; the freak show which unfortunately is back to being part of the circus so you have to pay for the circus to see it (lame!); and the Cyclone built in 1927. So we aimed to do two of the three, eat some funnel cake and ride the Soaring Eagle - which is like a superman ride where you lay horizontal the whole ride.
Entrance to the Wonder Wheel - there are two types of cars. Those that slide and those that don't. Of course we went for the cars that slide! Way more fun that way.
The group in front of the Cyclone. It was a GREAT roller coaster. It definitely jarrs you because it is so old, but it is probably one of the better roller coasters I have ever been on. It was great having an even number because we saved money by buying tickets in bulk. All in all it was a great night. So below is just some random photos that are fun from the night and then I will share the story of how I got serenaded on the subway home...
Funnel cake! Don't worry - that was eaten by 6 of us...really. I promise!
So Coney Island was especially trashy (hardy-har-har) because that day was the Mermaid Parade. So the trash scene was outrageous. This was one of the more tame trashcans that we saw. People basically just gave up on getting trash in the overflowing trash cans and settled on near the trash cans!I'm flying!! Well, almost. This was right before we took off. It is a little unnerving to go on a ride where when you flip upside down you no longer can see where you are going...but it was fun. Kind of short though.
No explanation needed.
Those who didn't want to "fly" with us
Waiting in line for Soaring Eagle. Only we 5 were brave enough. Also, I am Asian.
Ok, patient reader, it is time for the story of how I was sung to on the subway and danced with a thug. Let me set the scene: It is almost midnight coming back from Coney Island. Obviously we are going to have some fun characters on the subway (my favorite was the middle aged lady who was getting so annoyed that people were being loud. Um, it's Coney Island, it is Saturday and it is midnight. What did she expect?). So in our car we were seated in the middle, and at the one end was a group of young black teens. They started having a dance off with each other and this little 10/12 year old was battling this older kid. It was phenomenal. I think Jeff should put the videos he took of them up on youtube for kicks. Then this drunk hipster kid was making friends with them and then teaching them to do flip type things on the poles. So naturally, the white guys from our group had to join in to see if they could flip just as well! Instant friendships made.
Which brings me to the stroke of midnight. My friend Elise points out that is now after midnight and therefore officially my birthday and everyone should sing. Well - for those that know me I hate, HATE being sung happy birthday to. So of course Jeff calls down the kids from the end of the subway saying it is my birthday and they need to sing to me. So one of them comes and sings on bended knee and then pulls me up to slow dance to Happy Birthday. It was a little hilarious and completely mortifying. Of course Jeff also this on video, which I am glad is not on youtube.
So that was it - that was my birthday. We all came back happy and completely exhausted. Thanks everyone for making it awesome!

Hayley!!! Your birthday sounds spectacular and I love the finale with the dance and song! I wish I could've been there for it but I'm hoping my EARLY birthday wishes and the fact that I was on my honeymoon will be excuse enough :) Hope your ankle is better! Come down and visit!
ReplyDelete