So I couldn't post about my Christmas gift ideas this year because not everyone had received their present from me....(which is a funny story I will post at the end for those who actually want to read it). But this year I decided to try to be creative and thrifty with my gift giving. Now, some of you may know that my grandparents have a cabin up in Vermont. While they stay there they go to lots of auctions where my grandma will buy boxes and boxes of jewelry for cheap. So this year I decided to ask grams to bring me down her extra jewelry collection for my gifts. I bought a bunch of cheap wooden picture frames from Walmart.com and then sanded them down and spray painted them gold and black. Then through out November and December I spent many a glorious night watching old movies and hot-gluing the jewelry to the picture frames. They came out like this:
These are just a couple of the ones that I made. And I am quite proud of them in fact!
I made this one, but then liked it so much that I decided to keep it (quite selfishly!)
So here is the funny story. I have two friends that I was mailing these frames to. So I decided to do the USPS flat rate boxes and then print the postage offline and have them picked up by the mailman at work. However, I didn't really pay attention to which label got put on to which box. Of course this meant that I sent Meghan's present to Becca and vice versa. Oi! The other funny part of this story is that Meghan's post office held the boxes because she didn't give me an apartment number. Needless to say - I sent the boxes in time to get to their destination by Christmas (since Becca called me on Christmas Eve to say she had just opened Meghan's gift...) but the true owners did not receive their presents til mid-January. What a nightmare and let's just say the biggest blonde moment of 2010 for my life. Thanks for being so understanding girls!!

No comments:
Post a Comment