So it is safe to say that Day 3 is the day I was most anticipating for our Italia trip. I was really sad last time I was in Europe that I hadn't done Pompeii, but it was better so that I had some new things to go see in Italy this time around. Pompeii was amazing. It was tragic and so beautifully quiet. You really feel like you have stepped back in time. A strange and slightly eerie connection that I made was that the feeling in Pompeii was similar to the feeling at Auschwitz Concentration Camp - in that both places are no longer inhabited, witnessed the destruction of mass numbers of people, and are now so quietly beautiful that you feel bad for thinking so because of the tragedy that occurred there. There is too much to say about how I felt in Pompeii so I decided I am just going to include a ton of pictures. My favorite houses we went and saw were the ones with these beautiful wall murals. The whole time walking around Meghan and I just wondered aloud what this place must have been like in its day. It was incredible.
The city vineyard with Vesuvius in the background.
A mural from the courtyard of one of the houses. It is amazing how intact it still is after all this time.
The irrigation system that ran through the house and also down through the garden. I think I would have preferred to live in this house with its almost "running water"
The only body that we saw. Both Meghan and I were under the impression that there were lots of bodies in Pompeii (we're morbid that way I suppose), and I have to say we were a little disappointed that this girl was the only one we saw. We think she is trying to cover her mouth. By the way, we weren't the only morbid people there; a Korean woman and her son stopped and asked us specifically if we had seen any bodies and so we directed them to this woman.
Meghan and I in the old Market Place with Vesuvius in the background
Me with some ruins in the background. This is right before our run in with Bob from Alabama who was this old man on a new medicine that made him woozy and he had fallen and couldn't stand. There was an Italian boy who helped him and poor soul got blood all over his shirt, so Meghan I took over and kept him talking while we waited for his group's tourguide and the doctor to show up. His son showed up and I must say I was quite annoyed with his lack of reaction to his father's predicament. I hope I never have children who behave that way.
| Meghan and I at the Pompeii train station on our way to Salerno for the evening. We met a really cool woman from New Jersey actually who had traveled all over the place and she was telling us about her travels in Soviet Russia and in Berlin before the wall fell. Meghan and I only hope that one day we will have amazing traveling stories to tell like she did.
Afterwards, we got on a train to Salerno and after some confusion with how to get back to Roma afterwards, Meghan and I went and got some gelatto (of course!) and walked along the water waiting for sunset. So glad that we did! It was absolutely beautiful. We walked out along the piers, through a street fair, and just along the wharf. Absolutely amazing.
The wharf in Salerno
Constantly proud to be from New Jersey. When we were walking around the street fair we found this booth with replicas of license plates from the States. So completely random and therefore completely photo-worthy!
Beautiful.
So cute! Seriously we loved Salerno. I have now seen the Amalfi Coast and it is as pretty as people say. Haven't been to Positano though. I think next time I will do Positano and for sure hit up Cinque Terre (opposite ends of the country, I know)
All in all it was a fantastic day. We did and saw a lot and we were definitely exhausted on our 3 hour train ride back to Roma. Fortunately our hostel was across the street from the train station so we didn't have far to go once we got back.
|

No comments:
Post a Comment