Sunday, September 26, 2010

Athens: Day 9

So by day 9 this is where Athens and I started to disagree a little bit...Day 2 and not much on the agenda. We were going to hit up Temple of Zeus and the changing of the guard but other than that we had nothing else planned and an entire day to kill. We started off with the Temple of Zeus. It was in a much more ruined state than the Acropolis that is for sure. Poor Zeus-y.
 With a shot of the Acropolis in the background
 Talk about leg power. They are hardly slouched at all to get those legs up. The changing of the guard was the most random thing I have ever seen - not quite sure why it is set up the way that it is, but it was cool to see that they will not give up their traditions!

Afterward, we headed back towards the shops and hit up the Athens Flea Market looking for some good souvenirs. We saw some absolutely beautiful hand painted dishes and I kept seeing these hanging hand painted globes. So we shopped around and finally went back to the shops with the best prices and I got 3 (small, med, & large) globes in green, purple and blue (picture of them hanging in the new room to come) and Meghan got a serving bowl for her and a platter for her sister. Seriously these things were so beautiful - and made of porcelain as well. I also picked up some Christmas presents so hopefully those are well received. While we were wandering, we stumbled upon another theater with an English showing, only this was an outdoor rooftop theater, showing Inception. Done, done and done. So we sat back got some popcorn and watched a fantastic movie for our last night.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Hay, I have loved reading about your trip! I couldn't agree more about Santorini, Gelato and Feta! What a great treasure of adventure.... seriously, opera in Italy, sunburned in Santorini, life is dang sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete