Thursday, July 28, 2011

Movie Review - Harry Potter 7.2

Well, I have been putting off this post 1. because I've just been too busy and 2. because I don't want to admit that an era has come to a close. I was very excited to see the final installment of the Harry Potter movies but not so excited to say goodbye to HP forever. So before I get to my actual review of the movie I wanted to share some favorite HP moments in my life.

I remember in high school people talking about these Harry Potter books about a wizard boy and to be honest my interest was not peaked in the slightest. However, I was traveling with one of the families I babysat for to Chicago over Thanksgiving (while they contemplated moving there). We were in the car driving and the kids were restless and there was no form of entertainment, so Lisa (the mom) hands me the Harry Potter book they were reading and says, "Start reading". Needless to say, I sat in the back of that car and read Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban aloud for hours. The hardest part was forcing myself to not read ahead. Then when we got to the hotel, I may have taken the book and started reading over from the beginning and then past where the kids were and finishing the book before the night was over. From there a love was born. When I got home I went back and read books 1 and 2 and have gotten midnight release books ever since.

Also, Harry Potter taught me Vietnamese. I mean not really, but kind of. On my mission I had all American companions and so although I could teach I didn't really know that much every day outside of the gospel vocabulary. How excited I was when one of the members brought me back Sorceror's Stone from Vietnam and I was able to start reading it in Vietnamese. I studied grammar principles and pulled out daily vocabulary to learn. Needless to say I still will read Harry Potter in Vietnamese every once in awhile. I have all 7 books in both languages.

Ok, now for my movie review. I think all in all, they have done a wonderful job with the Harry Potter movies. 7.2 was no exception. We laughed and got a little teary eyed and cheered. I saw it in IMAX 3D and once again, I could have done without the 3D but that's just me. I think the casting for these movies has been off the charts. Everyone really understands their character to a T (except the new Dumbledore... I am convinced he didn't understand that Dumbledore was supposed to be smiles and joking, not angry or loud). The only real complaint I had was that it was so short! I think it was the shortest Harry Potter movie - less than 2 hours! But it was great. Harry triumphed. Now it will be exciting to see who tries to take over the Harry Potter franchise crowd with a new exciting series.

1 comment:

  1. i'm totally the same, i could do without the 3D as well. not my fave. but the movie was amazing. and i want to watch it a million more times.

    ReplyDelete