Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I Miss Sleep!

So as many of you might know by now by all my blog posts - I am officially the owner of quite possibly the cutest puppy you have ever seen. Seriously guys. He knew his mom by day 1 and would whine if I left him alone with anybody else. I was so grateful that Alex came with me on our trip since Sawyer did NOT like the crate. He slept on Alex's lap in the front seat pretty much the whole time which is kind of amazing considering it is a 7 hour car ride. No accidents and he did great. He was a little anxious that first night and the next day though. Everything kind of freaked him out and he threw up a couple times at my parents' house I think from a combination of motion sickness and being nervous.

Sunday I took him home in the afternoon so he could start adjusting to where he would be really living. He did not like the city noises. If I took him outside and put him down on the sidewalk he would start crying. Now after a couple days he won't stay in my arms, which the vet said he should since he is so young that he doesn't have all of his vaccines yet - she recommended carrying him over to the park and then letting him run around which he does not like one bit. He thinks he is a big dog and is ready to run around on the sidewalks. Now he cries when I try to hold him and walk 2 blocks to the park. 2 blocks! He is so funny.


He is adjusting so well. He hasn't been having a ton of accidents and he loves his crate now. He sleeps in there every night, but I haven't actually locked him in yet...I will try that Saturday since I will probably bring him in the crate to my parent's house. He loves his hippo named Humphrey (by my coworker) and all his teething toys. He also is pretty good about letting me know when he needs to go out. He will get really restless and start trying to jump out of the pen. He sleeps about a 3rd of the day which is great, but he does it in short spurts so I can't really get too much done when I am home. I totally understand mom's just wanting to take a nap when their kids nap but wanting to be productive as well. It is a struggle!

He (unfortunately) is NOT sleeping through the night yet. I am so excited for when that starts happening! The first night he woke up almost every hour and a half or so. Now he wakes up about 3 times every night. Still sucky, but he is improving! Hopefully next week it is only twice a night and then once and then not at all...that will happen right?? I have to be honest I really like sleep. Like a lot. I really miss getting it! I am fairly slow on the uptake these days due to the lack of. Good thing Sawyer is really cute and 95% of the time will only fall asleep if he is on my lap or curled in my legs or feet. The snuggle time has been outrageous.

Health update - we went to the vet on Monday and Sawyer is doing very well. He checked out great. The only thing is he had a couple intestinal parasites which is very common for puppies so he is on antibiotics and taking it like a champ. The doctor told me I'd have to try and disguise the pills and trick him. Well I tried just putting it in with his kibble to see if he would just eat it - and SUCCESS! No problems whatsoever. Just 3 more days of meds and he should be good to go.
Sawyer and his play buddy Humphrey the Hippo.

1 comment:

  1. OH. MY. GOSH! SO STINKING CUTE! So...I'm terrified of dogs...but he is to die for! Can I please meet Sawyer? I'm so not kidding!

    ReplyDelete