So about a week ago my good friend Tommie came to visit from AZ. Technically his cousin was getting married in Baltimore that weekend, but let's be honest. He came all the way across the country to drive up to NYC for 36 hours and spend time with me. So he arrived at 6 am (so much fun...) and we took a nap because sleep is very important.
Then we headed downtown to walk the Brooklyn Bridge and see City Hall and the 9/11 Memorial. I hadn't been to the memorial yet so I was intrigued to go. It was a little crazy and hectic with all the tourists there on a Thursday morning, but the fountains were beautiful and fitting. I think next time I would want to go at night when the are all lit up and the Freedom Tower is lit up in red/white/blue.
After the memorial we stopped for lunch with my dad at the World Financial Center and he put on his "Tour Guide Jim" hat and walked us around the financial center and gave us cool tidbits of information the way that he does. After that we headed up to Chinatown by way of the Ghostbusters Fire Station (always a crowd pleaser) and Tommie was able to souvenir shop for friends. His cousin works for the food network so we decided to try and see her so we wandered over to Chelsea Market and wandered through the shops and then tried to make our way upstairs to the Food Network office. (by the way, the office is HUGE and very nice). His cousin was great and we sat in her editing booth and chatted for awhile so Tommie's sore feet could get some rest - obviously as a native New Yorker my feet were not tired from all the walking we did. Naturally.
We concluded our afternoon by walking up the Highline which is a park that is built on the elevated railroad tracks that run through the meatpacking district that used to deliver meat to the different stores. They've revamped it and turned it into this amazing park. Somebody was painting this mural on the side of a building and we got the perfect view from the Highline:
It was beautiful. I want to go back and see if it is completely finished. Our night time plans were a Yankees game with Chad & Michelle since Michelle is the one that introduced Tommie and I all those years ago.
It was fun to hang out together even if the Yankees did lose...but I still love the stadium and baseball games in the summertime. $12 for a great evening? Don't mind if I do!
Tommie and I with a smidge of Michelle in the corner. It was so fun having you here! Come back soon!
Then we headed downtown to walk the Brooklyn Bridge and see City Hall and the 9/11 Memorial. I hadn't been to the memorial yet so I was intrigued to go. It was a little crazy and hectic with all the tourists there on a Thursday morning, but the fountains were beautiful and fitting. I think next time I would want to go at night when the are all lit up and the Freedom Tower is lit up in red/white/blue.
After the memorial we stopped for lunch with my dad at the World Financial Center and he put on his "Tour Guide Jim" hat and walked us around the financial center and gave us cool tidbits of information the way that he does. After that we headed up to Chinatown by way of the Ghostbusters Fire Station (always a crowd pleaser) and Tommie was able to souvenir shop for friends. His cousin works for the food network so we decided to try and see her so we wandered over to Chelsea Market and wandered through the shops and then tried to make our way upstairs to the Food Network office. (by the way, the office is HUGE and very nice). His cousin was great and we sat in her editing booth and chatted for awhile so Tommie's sore feet could get some rest - obviously as a native New Yorker my feet were not tired from all the walking we did. Naturally.
We concluded our afternoon by walking up the Highline which is a park that is built on the elevated railroad tracks that run through the meatpacking district that used to deliver meat to the different stores. They've revamped it and turned it into this amazing park. Somebody was painting this mural on the side of a building and we got the perfect view from the Highline:
It was beautiful. I want to go back and see if it is completely finished. Our night time plans were a Yankees game with Chad & Michelle since Michelle is the one that introduced Tommie and I all those years ago.
It was fun to hang out together even if the Yankees did lose...but I still love the stadium and baseball games in the summertime. $12 for a great evening? Don't mind if I do!
Tommie and I with a smidge of Michelle in the corner. It was so fun having you here! Come back soon!





No comments:
Post a Comment