Friday, July 13, 2012

We Had a Small Fire...

So I haven't blogged in a long time...but I am coming out of retirement (I have just been really busy!) to blog about our small fire we had in our apt the other night.

So to preface: two weeks ago we had an entire switch out of my old roommates and two good friends moved into the apartment. We went from 4 girls, 1 dog in the apt to only 3 girls, 1 dog. So much better. We have more space, more storage, and we all get along and really like each other to boot. So far it has been great! (They even took out the trash on their own! Progress!!) Well, since their stuff moved in, Rebecca and Allison were on vacation so Tuesday night was our first night really spending time together in the new apartment.

Around 11:30pm I decided to go to bed, and then Rebs knocked on my door and said she wanted to show me something. I get out of bed and come into her room and the outlet is smoking and glowing red! So we pulled the surge protector out of the wall and it was really hot. We decided to switch the circuit breaker off so no electricity was feeding into that outlet.
Well it was almost midnight at this point and we weren't exactly sure what to do. I called the management company and told them we had a small electrical fire and needed an electrician to come out the next day (especially since turning that breaker off meant that we didn't have electricity in half of the apartment...no joke). Once that was taken care of we set up the living room so Allison and Rebs had somewhere to sleep with an a/c unit that worked since neither of their rooms had electricity anymore. Fortunately my room had one outlet that still worked so my a/c was good.

Allison called her dad to see what else we should do and her mom was telling us we should call the fire department just to make sure everythingw as ok. It made us worried enough that I ended up calling the police department (not 9-1-1). I spoke to a cop and told him what happened and asked what he would do, if he would call the fire dept. He said he would so he had peace of mind. So he transferred us to 9-1-1 who then called the fire dept.
Well, I would like to officially say I am very impressed with the NYFD. I literally was still on the phone with 9-1-1 and could hear the sirens. Within a minute the trucks were in front of our apartment. And within 2 minutes a fireman was in our apartment. Talk about a fast response. We feel good that if we ever have a real fire emergency we would be taken care of. We sort of laughed because their protocol is to have 2 different fire stations respond, with a minimum of 5 firetrucks and the guys have to be dressed in full gear (suits, oxygen tanks, hats, axes, etc). So then we had 6 firemen in our apt looking at the outlet and making sure that there wasn't anything still on fire in the wall. Which thankfully there wasn't.
Now it is a stereotype that NYC firefighters are pretty to look at. They have a yearly calendar and get oggled by girls all the time. Much cuter than cops. Unfortunately we only had 2 out of the 6 that were cute, but Fireman Fitzgerald was beautiful. We were kind of bummed that we didn't ask to take a picture with him. But contrary to popular belief (ED!) we did NOT set the fire intentionally to get firemen into the apt. Although now that we know Fitzgerald is at the stations closest to our apt I can't guarantee that we don't have another "emergency" sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment