Friday, May 18, 2012

Time

So the summer institute class is a little bit different. Each week there is a topic and we discuss how the gospel gives us answers to real life questions and difficulties. It isn't taught by the greatest teachers per se, but at least the assigned reading is good and hopefully a couple great comments get made in class to make up the difference. (although I am a little biased towards our other Insititute teachers who are my really good friends, and also who happen to be amazing teachers).

This week the topic was goals and time management. There was one quote that I really liked because I felt like it was something that I needed to hear.

"We normally operate under some myths concerning time. We often think that we can save time or that we can make up time. It is a valuable excercise to step back and review the fact that each person has the same amount of time - 168 hours each week. We cannot save time. There are no time banks. We cannot make up time; it goes by at a fixed rate always. We often race at high speeds all day only to discover that we have been doing things rather than getting things done. We need to be effective rather than only efficient. The efficient person may be operating with speed and econmy of effort but may not be accomplishing the most important things." - Rex W. Allred

I really appreciated this quote. I feel like it is so true, at least in my own life. I am a type-a personality who lives by my Franklin planner and my to-do checklist. I have a strange satisfaction in checking off each thing on my list each day. However, I am not always great at putting the more important things on that list and making sure that my time is being used to accomplish more important things rather than thinking my day was well spent because I did 10 things on my to-do list. Food for thought.  

No comments:

Post a Comment