Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Book Review - Divergent

Ok - so remember on yesterday's post when I said I read a book in a matter of hours? Well this was the book. For the record, it was finished in less than 3 hours and is over 400 pages. It was that good. The pace was great and the writing was good as well. I won't give too much of a summary here, because I think you should read it (especially since the second book of the trilogy just hit bookstores and I may be 75% done with it and trying not to finish it here at work...). You can get both books here.

Anyways, here is the plot of book 1 in a nutshell:

The main character Beatrice (aka Tris) is growin' up in a dystopian society (as so many YA book characters are these days). Her society is split into 5 factions based on one major character trait. Dauntless for bravery, Candor for truth, Erudite for knowledge, Amity for love and Abnegation for selflessness. She grew up Abnegation, but when you turn 16 you get to pick which faction you want to live with. She chooses Dauntless and leaves her family behind. (Btw I didn't give anything away, this happens in the first two chapters). Anyways, the first book is all about her initiation into the new faction and the crazy things that happen, and the introduction of her love interest. Fortunately there is NO love triangle in this series which is soooo refreshing. At the end of book one there is obviously a big something that happens to set up for the second two books. That is all I will say about that.

I would say that it is on par with Hunger Games as far as writing and content go. It is really interesting and it keeps you going. There are a couple obvious things that you see coming, but then there were a couple moments (more in book 2) that made me gasp as I read them. Anyways, go read the book and tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I need to read this one. It wasn't at my library last time I checked, but I think I'll check again and maybe splurge and buy it if it's that good. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete