So I don't have this quintessential memory of my first day of kindergarten. There's a picture of me in an outfit I remember. My hair was crimped and in a ponytail. I was wearing a white skirt and shirt with a picture of a puppy and teal, pink and purple dots/splatter paint. Classic 80s. It was the fall of 1989 and I was cool.
I do remember however my first day of college. I was unpacking my stuff in the dorms (David John) at BYU and my roommate Brie and her parents came and we took a picture together for good measure. Then the other two girls came running through the bathroom. One, Jess, was blonde and had long hair. She seemed pretty quirky. The other was Wendy-shaped. She was wearing overalls, a tie-dyed shirt and a bandana on her head. Insta-friendship.
And here I am - at another "first day of school" moment, this time at NYU. I am currently sitting at work hoping that I will be able to find the building, since Google Maps was of no help and that I am not desperately too stupid to figure out what is going on. Also, kinda hoping the teacher doesn't assign tons of reading or assignments, since that would suck. I will update you later about the people in class since I am curious to see what cross-section of America will show up here: will they be older, younger, more racially diverse, rich, poor? I seriously have no expectations so we will see how that works out. Here's hoping this class doesn't kick my trash!
I do remember however my first day of college. I was unpacking my stuff in the dorms (David John) at BYU and my roommate Brie and her parents came and we took a picture together for good measure. Then the other two girls came running through the bathroom. One, Jess, was blonde and had long hair. She seemed pretty quirky. The other was Wendy-shaped. She was wearing overalls, a tie-dyed shirt and a bandana on her head. Insta-friendship.
And here I am - at another "first day of school" moment, this time at NYU. I am currently sitting at work hoping that I will be able to find the building, since Google Maps was of no help and that I am not desperately too stupid to figure out what is going on. Also, kinda hoping the teacher doesn't assign tons of reading or assignments, since that would suck. I will update you later about the people in class since I am curious to see what cross-section of America will show up here: will they be older, younger, more racially diverse, rich, poor? I seriously have no expectations so we will see how that works out. Here's hoping this class doesn't kick my trash!

No comments:
Post a Comment