So about a week or so ago I went to go see Denzel Washington and Viola Davis is FENCES, which is a play by August Wilson. It was phenomenal. The best part is that a week later as I watched the Tony Awards, Fences won best revival of a play and I saw both Denzel and Viola win best actor and actress in a play. The story takes place about 50 years ago in Pittsburgh. The main character (Troy) and his wife (Viola) struggle with making ends meet. Troy thought he would be a famous baseball player but instead finds himself a struggling garbage man - and this loss of a dream is taken out mostly on his son. He ends up having an affair and fathering a daughter that his wife eventually raises. The scene where she finds out he's been cheating on her is phenomenal - as soon as she took a breath the audience was applauding her she did such a phenomenal job on it. Now granted - there were a lot of race issues and to be honest I was a minority in the audience but I still loved it and the acting was superb! If you can get in to see it before it goes off Broadway again I highly recommend it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment