Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Big Taj

So like any stereotypical tourists going to India, Megs and I were really excited to go see the Taj Mahal. We got up super early to get in our car and drive (or technically be driven) down to Agra. I had my dramamine ready to go for the 4 hour car ride and we had a very interesting ride down. It got especially interesting when we pulled over in the middle of the road and our driver got OUT of the car and left us. We watched him run up and over a little hill and that was it...So Meghan and I sat there and then all of a sudden there were monkeys on the window.

Then after we were surprised and took a picture the guy starting pounding on the windows screaming "monkey picture!" over and over. He pounded on every window and then he OPENED the driver's door! Fortunately about 30 seconds later the driver came up over the hill he had disappeared over and we continued our drive down to Agra. Crazy experience #1 under our belts.


 

The Taj (we are on first name terms now) was amazing. It was so beautiful. I had heard rumors that the Taj was getting a little run down and I am glad to report that it is not. The one thing that we loved about India is all over the country there are monuments built by men for the women they loved. The Taj Mahal was not the only beautiful monument built for love. Unfortunately we didn't know that the thing that makes the Taj Mahal really cool was what it does at night during a full moon. We had heard that it wasn't worth staying in Agra more than a day so we had already made our travel plans to leave that afternoon. So we didn't get to see whatever it did in the moonlight even though we were there on a night with a full moon. It was still amazing. More on the rest of our day in Agra tomorrow. I thought the Taj deserved her own post.


No comments:

Post a Comment