Friday, January 6, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

So, yesterday morning I fainted. On the 6 train headed to work. Not awesome. I think the worse thing about fainting (for those of you who have experienced it...) is that you feel it coming a mile away - or for me three subway stops away. I could feel my head getting foggy and the overwhelming desire to sit down and put my head down, which on a crowded subway is pretty impossible.

I guess my face started to give something away because the woman next to me noticed that I was acting weird and got people to stand up so I could sit down (which to be honest, I don't remember the act of sitting down or moving the subway car...). Then she was asking me questions. Fortunately I was getting off in another stop so she got off too and walked me to my building to make sure I got there ok.

It reminded me of this article that New York Magazine did at the end of 2009 about acts of kindness in NYC. It is funny that New Yorkers have the reputation for being rude and brusque and yet people are always asking people if they need help - carrying groceries home, giving up seats on the subway, and I have been helped twice on the subway (both times from fainting...not sure what my problem is!). I seriously love this place.

2 comments:

  1. hayley! i just found your blog. so excited i can stalk you now (creeper right?) and glad you're doing well!

    -mouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts:

    1) You should stop fainting. Fainting is like, so five minutes ago.

    2) I liked that article ;)

    3) When are you coming to visit? I've got WendyLady AND LisFace here now... you can't stay away for long!

    ReplyDelete