Thursday, January 2, 2014

Frank Magleby

So, December was a rough month for my family, immediate and extended. My grandfather went in for what was supposed to be a hard, but somewhat routine surgery for his state of health. While he was recooperating in the hospital he experienced kidney failure and then a stroke. I had already decided to go to UT in January to spend some quality time with Gramps, but decided last minute to change my flight for the next weekend in case that was my last chance to see him alive.

I arrived in UT on Dec 13th and then the next morning went straight over to the hospital to spend some time with Gramps. Not gonna lie, I was only in his room for about 5 minutes before I started crying and left the room before anyone could see. He looked so tired and so weak and he was in the middle of a dialysis session so he wasn't completely coherent.
Grams just loving on Gramps.
 Holly was shaving him so he could look cute for all those "cute nurses" taking care of him. What a riot.
I loved being able to spend those 2 days with him in the hospital. Sunday especially was an amazing day. He was super coherent and was cracking jokes about not liking the Cowboys (who does?) and calling our cousin Jonah his childhood nickname Bones. It was really hard to leave the hospital that night because I knew that would be it. But I got to cry and hug and kiss him and tell him that he had meant so much to me and I loved him so very much and hear him say he loves me too. That moment alone was worth every penny I spent on changing my plane ticket from January to December.
 
Gramps passed away the day after I left Utah. Apparently he was surrounded by my aunt and uncle, my grandma and some of his grandkids who got to spend those final moments with him after they took him off his heart meds. So, two days after I had returned to NYC I hopped back on a flight (thanks to my Uncle Hans who rocks) to Utah to attend the funeral.
 
The funeral was amazing. They had artwork up that my grandfather had painted throughout his life through the church building and in one of the rooms set up like a gallery of some of our favorite paintings. All of his kids spoke and then James Christensen and then another one of my Grandpa's art students spoke and a family friend sang "Oh, Divine Redeemer" which is one of grandma's favorite songs.
 
Frank Magleby is one of the kindest, most patient and most sincerely Christ like people I have ever met. It was so bittersweet saying goodbye to him, but I am SO grateful that I got 29 years with him to begin with and that I was so lucky to be part of his family and touched and molded through his influence the way that only family gets to experience. My uncle Hans said something so great at the funeral, that usually during eulogies we tend to only focus on the very best of someone, but that in reality Gramps was really just that good of a person. I have so many wonderful wonderful memories of spending time with him as a young kid looking for "Herbie", or watching football with him while I attended BYU, or watching him paint in his studio up in Vermont. His funeral inspired me to attempt to be the kind of person that could leave behind such a positive influence by all that know me, like he was. It is a very tall order. Maybe one day I will make it to being half of the person that he was, and that would be amazing. I love you Gramps. See ya in heaven.
 
And now, some personal favorites of the pictures of Gramps when he was young that were discovered by my cousin Lauren. I absolutely love these.


 
My personal favorite. He is so 007 here. Move over Daniel Craig!


No comments:

Post a Comment