Thursday, March 29, 2012

Movie Review: Hunger Games

Alright, no pictures, trailers or gimmicks in this post. Just straight opinion. The Hunger Games trilogy was a favorite of mine and I was very excited for the first installment of the movie. The trailer looked great and when I first saw it I showed a bunch of my coworkers the trailer and then got them hooked on the books.

Ok, so the review. I liked it. There were things (obviously) that I was a little sad about which usually happens for a book to movie transition. Overall though I thought they did a really great job with the story, the cast, the costumes, the set. I liked the add-ins they did of the game maker and President Snow and watching the people who were controlling the arena during the games. There were a couple sections that they sort of quickly ran through that I would have liked to see flushed out but the movie was long and so I guess they just ran out of time. Hopefully there are some good deleted scenes on the DVD.

Here was my disappointment: the cave scenes. In the book they go on for pages and pages and that is where Katniss starts to figure out that Peeta isn't kidding about being in love with her and in the movie they only kissed once! Once? No. So basically I think they didn't develop that relationship enough for me. Also, she didn't break his heart on the train ride home. So in the end, they got everything right except Katniss and Peeta's relationship...I can only hope that they will make up for it in the second movie due November 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree about Katniss and Peeta! I was also disappointed that her relationship with Rue wasn't developed enough. I understand that the movie can't get everything from the book, but I was hoping for more there. I agree though that the movie was good! I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with the lack of developing Katniss and Peeta's relationship... lame.

    Stanley Tucci completely stole the show for me! He was incredible!

    ReplyDelete