Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Book Review: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

So I have this rule that before I see a movie based on a book that I have to read the book first. This way I can be truly disappointed by how much the movie falls short of the book (there are a few exceptions to this rule like The Time Traveler's Wife and Count of Monte Cristo where I like the movie version better...). Anyways since this movie was coming out and most people who have read this book have said it is amazing I decided I really needed to read it.

I liked it. It is incredibly sad. So it is the story of a young boy whose father was killed in the 9/11 attacks. (Now a side note here: I might be a little biased on how sad I thought this was because for a couple of hours that day I thought my dad was dead...so I might overidentify a little too much.) Anyways so the father dies and one night the boy is in the father's closet going through his things and he knocks a vase over and it breaks. Inside the vase was a key with the word Black written on it. So the boy decides to look up everyone with the last name Black in New York City (all 5 boroughs) and go meet them to see if they know what the key is for. That's all I will say about the plot.

It is well written and engaging and fun fact: when they were filming the movie in Riverside Park the actors met my roommate Jessica because she was out walking my incredibly cute puppy named Sawyer. Cherry on top. I have yet to see the movie but once I do I will let you know what I think!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book too, except for one thing. The grandparents. They really weirded me out, and I thought the story could have been just great/fine without them.

    ReplyDelete