HAPPY NEW YEAR!!So it's that magical time of year when we all say good riddance to all the negative stuff in the past year and try to embrace the positive of the new year. Most of us celebrate this wonderful occasion by making New Year's resolutions. Whether or not we keep em is an entirely different story! As I pondered what I wanted to change this next year I reflected on some of the goals I had made last year:
1. Make it back to Vietnam
2. Move to New York City
3. Find a job in New York City
4. Get to the temple more often
Goal #1 - I was able to make it back to Vietnam and do volunteer work that was simply amazing. There is something about doing volunteer work and helping people who can't help themselves that seriously gives me MORE than a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Those kids changed my life and how I felt about both my blessings and the hard stuff. They were always so happy and they couldn't communicate, move on their own or feed themselves and still happy. That in and of itself should really change the way we think about happiness and how to have happiness in life.
Goal #2 - move to NYC - well I have done it twice this year. First time for the summer, and although I spent nearly all my savings playing and looking for a job, it was so worth it. Fortunately goal #3 allowed me to move back. I have found a job/office where I can succeed and I enjoy doing what I do. It's nice to contribute to something and have busy days. (at least that's what I tell myself everytime that alarm clock goes off).
Goal #4 - Get to the temple more often. Unfortunately I didn't really specify what more often meant, but I do know that I spent a lot of time in the temple while I was job searching and especially throughout the time my mom was battling cancer. I had some amazing moments of clarity and instruction in the temple that I hadn't experienced previously that I am extremely grateful for.
So - having reflected on last year's resolutions I looked forward to the new ones and I decided maybe I needed some professional help from Wikipedia to understand more about why we make resolutions and how better to keep them. I found the following info which I found kinda interesting:
A New Year's resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous.
Christian fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually. Women succeeded more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.
One thing I found very interesting was that not only did Wikipedia give the religious reasons why people make resolutions but they made an interesting statement regarding responsibility. I think it is true - we have a responsibility to make resolutions because part of our purpose here on earth is to progress and become better. I also like the Jewish side that their resolutions have to do with both seeking and offering forgiveness. Both of those also only help us to progress and become more Christlike.
Now, before this post becomes too long that no one wants to read the whole thing I have one last comment - Women succeed more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends. Now while I think that is important I am not going to blog about my personal new years resolutions. BUT I do think it is important to let a roommate, spouse, friend or family member know some of your goals for the day, week, month or year so that there is some accountability while you try to progress. I also know that getting a little help from the Man upstairs always helps us improve our success rate. Thanks for being amazing friends and family and hopefully we can all be a little more successful with our resolutions this year.

You are right on point! Too true my friend.
ReplyDelete